If you have trouble falling asleep at night or if you wake up before morning, share your experiences. What are the reasons why you can't sleep? Is there a common cause that you have identified? From insomnia to restless legs to your sleep environment, there may be many things disrupting your ability to sleep. Share yours. Share Your Reason
An Addendeum about sleep
- After my last entry, which by the way I wrote while I was extremely fatigued and had lack of sleep. I thought I had every sleep disorder, from Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis, another form of Insomnia. What happened, was I got myself in a very bad habit of sleeping for up to 3 days straight, to staying up for up to 35 hours. I kept trying to make myself go to sleep and it wouldn't work. So I'd stay up. The later it got, the more awake I became! It was odd 4 sure. I also take a cocktail of medication for 2 debilitating disorders I have that require some medication. One of them makes me very tired but if I just came off of 30 hours of sleep, I would definitely be up and wide awake, regardless of meds.
Finally, with the help of a therapist and my husband, I started to go to bed at night but waking up was hard to do, but I had to force myself. It's something I need to daily, literally force myself out of bed, and after a month (takes 30 days to make or break habit) I was back to sleeping.
I can sleep MOST of the time. here's why
- I have a regime. I don't eat 2 hours before bedtime. When I go to bed, the what I take that helps me sleep are trazodone, l-tryptophan, melatonin, valerian, 5HTP, and I wear a sleep mask to block out all blue light. Sometimes I will read a book in low light to wait for the supplements to start working. They help me go to sleep, stay asleep, and go back to sleep if I get up when nature demands (grin). sometimes for fibromyalgiacs, it is best for us to take a warm bath with epsom salts and soak for about 15 to 30 minutes to kill the pain in our muscles and relax our muscles so we can sleep.
I have a lot of illnesses that cause my chronic pain. So sleep is very essential.
Farting in sleep
- My girlfriend swears blind I fart in my sleep. Sometimes my room does smell when I wake up :(
- —Guest Mr farty pants
Could not fall asleep
- I went to a sleep clinic for a test, but did not fall asleep the entire night! The technician said my body did not begin to 'slow down' until about 6:15 AM! She suggested that I stay out of bed for several hours, waiting until I am sleepy before going to bed... perhaps until 2 or 3 AM. Then go to bed, hopefully to sleep, and allow myself to sleep late in the morning. Do that for about a week until I begin to feel physically better. Then begin gradually moving my bedtime back to my desired bedtime of 11 PM. Currently, I'm going to bed at midnight. It seems to be working. I generally fall asleep shortly after going to bed. Although I awake 2 or 3 times during the night, I generally go back to sleep rather quickly and awake around 6 or 6:30. So I am getting much more sleep than I had been (some nights I was getting none at all!) and am feeling much better. I think my 'sleep clock' was disturbed while caring for my ill mother (I had to stay awake at night).
- —Guest Margaret
- hi, I usually sleep like a kid who'se gone swimming all day. But if I'm anxious or excited about something, then my mind refuses to 'shut up'. But, when I'm sad/depressed, then I can't stay awake to save my life. I just usually want to take a nap...but it usually lasts all day.
- —Guest Sleepy Smurf
Sleep? What's that????!
- Ever since I can remember I've had trouble sleeping. But, since contracting Fibromyalgia & Atrial Fibrillation along with my on-going anxiety, I've discovered a very strange occurance when I want to lie back & try to sleep. As soon as I lie on my side, (either side) my heart starts to skip beats &/or speed up. As soon as I sit or stand, I go back into a normal sinus rythm. Then, the anxiety begins to rule its ugly head once more. :( Has anyone else ever experienced this? It's been going on for several days.
- just cant fall asleep till the late hours and then tired the next day
- —Guest ann bussart
you can sneez in your sleep
- I have horrid seasonal (fall) allergies and I am woken up by sneezing all season it still scares the heck outta me every time and nothing my dr has had me try can make it go away!!!!
- —Guest karhy
- When I start to fall asleep I panic and bolt upright. I'm almost never tired and last time I slept because I passed out. It's gotten to the point where I hallucinate which also prevents me from sleeping. When I do sleep when I wake up it's in a panic where I'm gasping and shaky and moving really fast. Is there something I can do?
- —Guest DomR1997
- I can not sleep for sometimes over a week at a time. At which point, I canno't discern the difference between reality and a trance state during which I move about and interact, but no one around me has any idea what i am talking about. Once I sleep, it all becomes clear but then all my time is spent doing damage control. Is there a sleep study out there? Can someone help me regain control of my life.
- —Guest dddd
Farting at night?? Uh, yeah!
- I understand that our bodies are designed not
to make a bowel movement while we are
sleeping, but I swear I have farted, during a sleep cycle. However there's a catch.
I need to have had consumed a lot of beer. I don't mean to sound graphic or gross,
but it's true. Yet, I haven't had a drink,
of any beer or alcoholic beverage since,
April of 2010. Our tropical vacation in fl. When I was younger, I drank a lot of wine, and would crash at all of my friend's homes 2 get sleep. My friends would telll me that I sounded like a tooting duck all night long. But,
I don't remember. I think I know why this may have happened, and only when I am
drinking beer. The alcohol gives you a not
so great night sleep. Tossing and turning, is not unusual, as is waking up, and being in a
rather light sleep, so you really aren't getting the rest you need...
- Why can't my boyfriend sleep? It's so bad that he has to go to the doctors for it and his eyes are always red
- —Guest Emily
cannot sleep at night and don't know why
- because of holidays i am used to sleeping after 1-2 am and now that im going back to skool i dnt know y i cnt get 2 sleep i'd hope som1 knew y???
- —Guest t***S